It must have been a cold, loooong winter in my state. Everyone around me is having babies! Including me. So I am forever looking for that perfect baby gift that will make my friends mouths drop in goofy joy. (Like this embarrassing photo of me from my baby shower 2 years. Word to the wise- have joy more ladylike as it could forever be on Facebook.)
Now that I am a seasoned mom (as if!) I feel like I have a handle on what modern day moms actually need. So I hope to help you out with a list of the 5 best gifts in my humble opinion. (It is VERY hard to pick just five.)
THE BEST GIFTS
1. DIAPERS: I know Boooring. But OH.SO.WONDEFUL. and NEEDED. It’s great because everyone gives you different brands so you can find out what works for your family. Plus you go through 10 billion of them and that starts to add up. And no one feels like shopping right after having a baby so a large stock pile of this gold mine is heaven. Be sure to check if your mommy-to-be is going disposable or cloth. Also get creative…It doesn’t have to be boring. Look at these loads of adorableness (Diaper cakes on Etsy) Who wouldn’t love getting one of those?
DIAPER CAKE FOR GIRLS by LanasDiaperCakeShop
DIAPER CAKE FOR BOYS by MsPerks
GENDER NEUTRAL byJudeBugsBabySweets
2. KNIT OR CROCHET BABY BOOTIES: They don’t come off. Babies are born as a mini Howard Houdini. If you put them in a pair of socks-2 seconds later you have no idea where they went. Handmade crochet booties keep the socks on and they stay on themselves. Plus they typically take longer to grow out of verses socks and shoes. Miracle workers in the winter time. A MUST with a winter baby. Check out these winners!
BOOTIES FOR GIRLS by The BlueBerryElephant
BOOTIES FOR BOYS by HeathersHobbies
GENDER NEUTRAL BOOTIES byThreeKittensKnitting
3. SWADDLE BLANKETS WITH VELCRO: I am back to the baby Houdini argument. If you put a baby in regular swaddle blanket without Velcro- you will be swaddling them ALL. NIGHT. LONG. Or maybe I just have extremely wiggly children who require the straight jacket swaddling for sleeping yet wiggle fight it.
You can get swaddle blankets with velcro from any big box store-I personally love Target or you can find some selections on Etsy.
Check out this cool version of the swaddle blanket from StorkSwaddle on etsy.com
4. BABY SWING or VIBRATING CHAIR: Start them young. There is no way you a new mom can hold her baby every second and I swear by all kinds, any kind as long as it is safe, and functioning. Go in on it with friends and add a Costco size pack of batteries for it too. You will get texts of gratitude for weeks.
5. THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK: This is book every mother should read and re-read by Dr. Harvey Karp. I could kiss that man. It has a very specific technique for how to deal with and prevent fussy, colicy babies and get them to sleep/be happy. And let’s be real ladies. No amount of adorable baby outfits and shoes will ever be as important or appreciated as a happy baby. My mother-in-law gave this book to me and I did kiss her! I LOVE it and I LIVE it. And it’s not just me. It has over 1,000 reviews on Amazon with a 4.5 out of 5 rating. Unfortunately, there will simply be some grumpy babies. Let us just pray they are not ours and do our part to prevent it!
WHAT ARE YOUR TOP 5 BABY GIFTS
I would LOVE to hear what you think the top 5 baby gifts are and what has been a lifesaver for you. Come on- Change my opinion on the top 5!