When America’s Test Kitchen says something is “The Dessert of The Century” They are not messing around! They also are not kidding when they say it is hard to make.
Saturday night “the hubs” thought it would be fun to make this difficult dessert for our date night. So after a quick run to the grocery store we got to work.
This recipe is VERY particular but fortunately America’s Test Kitchen gets you through it. They do such a great job explaining it I won’t try- just go to their website HERE. We had some major pitfalls-like putting the ganache on too hot (thus the dripping chocolate delicious mess verses their pretty picture of perfection. We also over cooked the almond and hazelnut meringue (husband didn’t know which button was the off button on the oven. He is brilliant really- just not usually in the kitchen. poor dear. Good thing he is cute.
As a side note we also took out the coffee flavor aspect to it, and added rum flavoring instead. When it calls for espresso powder in the butter cream- just omit. Than use 1/2 tablespoon of rum flavoring and 1 1/2 tablespoons of water in lieu of 2 tablespoons of water for buttercream.
Despite our flaws during the cooking process the end it was AMAZING.
Truly. do yourself a favor and make this. Than eat it, alone without your children. (we love them but this is “sacred” dessert) If you need something to distract sweet ones while you are in dessert coma we recommend our awesome Magnetic Paper Doll Sets. I LOVE shameless plugs. ETSY SHOP CLICK HERE
Don’t worry I am not actually going to talk about everything in my pantry! Just a little family staple called NUTELLA. Growing up I had never heard of this chocolaty goodness (SO deprived!) It was just another added benefit to marrying my husband.We do buy it in Costco size proportions….Hey one never knows when a natural disaster might occur and this stuff is gold. Nutella is a Perfect addition to homemade crepe Sunday breakfasts, on toasts/breads, in homemade ice cream recipes, in toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches, and now with rice Krispy treats. And it’s healthy because it is technically hazelnut spread with a “hint” of cocoa. I know who am I kidding, but everything in moderation right? We made these last night for Family Night and success!
NUTELLA RICE KRISPY TREATS
6 cups Rice Krispy Cereal
1 (10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
1 cup Nutella
(TOPPING INGREDIENTS BELOW)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup Nutella
1 Tbsp. shortening
- Put 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and marshmallows together until smooth.
- Once marshmallows and butter have melted together add Nutella and stir until well combined. (DO NOT OVER COOK THIS or it will be very hard)
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal. Stir to coat evenly. Press into a greased pan.
- To make topping, heat Nutella, chocolate chips and shortening in a medium sauce pan over medium-medium low heat until smooth. Spread over the top of Rice Krispy Treats.
- Stick in the fridge and let it set. Once they have set, cut into them and have a yum fest! (Leave them out of the fridge once set or they will be too hard)